DCL 4.3 Inspiration | Get Real With Your Leadership
Outline of Session
- The frenzy of leadership
- What does it mean to lead in a church toady?
- Three aspects which have shaped the ministry of Mosaic: to be God taught; to be God moved; to be God inspired
Conference Session by Erwin McManus.
(Try and make space to watch this video in one sitting)
1. Personal reflection: Write down one key insight that you can personally take away.
2. Eagle (big picture view), hawk (very focussed on specifics) or bat flying full speed but half blind)? How do you see your leadership today? “Most of us are just elegant, polished bats.” What do you think of Erwin’s statement?
3. Erwin stated that leadership within the church today can be defined as fighting for the heart of the church and the people. He went on to say that leaders battle for the hearts of their people, seeking to shape them. And that this is achieved by changing what people care about, rather than what they believe. How can you, in your context, focus on changing what people care about as opposed to simply what they believe?
4. Ethos – Erwin states that the church should be nothing less than an environment in which the physical manifestation of who God is and what He is doing in the world can be evidenced. He suggests that it is the leaders’ responsibility to create and shape such an environment. What kind of environment are your seeking to create and shape in your context. What are the values, belief and principles that are shaping that?
5. Erwin then unpacked three ‘values’ that have shaped Mosaic. These are shown in the table below. As you consider these, reflect on your own leadership. To what extent, on a scale of 1 to 10, if 1 were a complete absence, and 10 were, it couldn’t be better, might you be living out these in your context. What might you consider doing to progress to the next step on the scale in each case?
6. Erwin states that, rather than being a visionary leader, seek to become a visional one. Create an environment where dreams are unleashed and people are being moved their dreams and not yours. What might such an environment look like and how might it be possible?
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association.
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2